Sciral Forum
April 23, 2019, 07:51:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Sciral Consistency for iPhone version 1.0.3 is now in the App Store, with support for iTunes File Sharing! http://bit.ly/uuIZaq

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Methodology of calendar intergration  (Read 5069 times)
Randomandy

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2007, 05:45:49 PM »

The request has been made repeatedly for Sciral integration with a calendar program such as iCal or Outlook, but because of the great difference of paradigm between the novel Sciral and the traditional calendar, this is by no means a clear cut task. I'm thrilled to finally find something like Sciral precisely because I could never figure out a reasonable way to handle such tasks using my standard calendars, task lists or project management apps. "Linking" to a calendar will potentially cause the very mess that Sciral was created to eliminate. e.g. I don't want a ToDo item repeating everyday on my calendar for something that I hadn't done yet that isn't urgent. I also don't want my entire list of overdue items showing on today's to do list.

So before even considering any development of such a feature, I'd like to dedicate this thread to walking through how such a feature could actually work in a usable way and whether that way is really so valuable as to be worth the developers time.
Randomandy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 06:05:58 PM »

One approach could be a feature in Sciral that could post a calendar item "today" for a selected task. For example, I right-click on a task in Sciral and a context menu item appears labeled Add this task to today on calendar. Or even more advanced, it would add to whichever day box in Sciral I clicked on. So I could click a few days ahead and right click and choose Add this task to this day on calendar.

This calendar item could exist completely independent from Sciral so I could move it around or delete it in the calendar without that effecting anything back in Sciral. That would make creating a calendar event quite trivial. The calendar program would be able to take care of syncing that to a PDA.

But perhaps you could include in the created event some kind of URI that could link back to Sciral and a way to quickly mark the event as completed. It could default to assuming it was completed the same day the link was followed. But I don't know how this can be done from another application. Is there a way to add text to a calendar item that could call a script communicating back to Sciral? At a minimum, one that could automatically link to and open the specific Sciral file that created the event would ease maintaining a Sciral schedule up to date. Having to go reopen and look for the correct Sciral file will make that harder to stay on top of.
Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 06:37:24 PM »

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions. I will definitely consider some kind of Consistency/calendar integration, although as you point out Consistency was designed for tasks that calendars never were, so there is quite an "impedance mismatch" there to be overcome.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: