Sciral Forum
July 22, 2017, 12:43:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Sciral Consistency for iPhone version 1.0.3 is now in the App Store, with support for iTunes File Sharing! http://bit.ly/uuIZaq

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper Is Dead! Long Live Paper!  (Read 17471 times)
Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2005, 02:31:17 AM »

Years ago when laser printers were still a New Thing, I wrote a program in Postscript that drew a calendar that encompassed an entire year on one page. I used it to plan out holidays, major trips I would take and conferences I would attend. Even though I had to write small I thought it was pretty neat that I could take in everything in the blink of an eye.

A number of friends who saw my printout began asking for their own copies, and then the next year they wanted a new version. This started to become a yearly ritual. I eventually decided that they should just be able to go somewhere on the web and get their own copies. It turns out Sciral is that place.

But I didn't stop there. Long ago on a whim I also made a modification to my old PostScript program that drew one-hundred copies of my yearly calendar on a single page. I made the first year my birth year and realized how much perspective looking at every single day of my life (and then some, probably) gave me. As I've always been one for mixing practical things with the artistic, I decided to make the LifePage available to anyone who desires it as well.

To round things out I decided to include a traditional monthly calendar planner.

But, you may ask, aren't dead trees so... 20th century?

Well, yes and no. I've always said that anything that paper and pencil should still be reserved for the few things that paper and pencil do better than computers. Paper's advantages include a level of color and spatial resolution that computers still can't match, and unparalleled portability.

Calendars have long been a subject of fascination for me, and have, similar to the clock, often been turned into art. The wall calendar still has a certain class to it, and allows for endless variations on the theme. So these are my small variations on the theme. I hope you enjoy them!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 03:33:01 AM by Robert » Logged
blaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 02:59:54 AM »

Your LifePage calendars are a great tool, but is it possible to format them for larger paper, like 11"x17"? That would be very helpful for the year view.

Robert McNally
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 12:29:14 PM »

Your LifePage calendars are a great tool, but is it possible to format them for larger paper, like 11"x17"? That would be very helpful for the year view.
I will consider adding a larger paper size to a future update. PDF will easily scale to any paper size as long as the aspect ratio remains the same. I have successfully printed that 8 1/2" x 11" size on a large-format printer, essentially creating a large poster that is very useful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: